Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Go Green Slime Time Playdate

PlayDates styled by SnapDragon and GingerRoots  have two main ingredients:

A Dash of Whimsy and a Splash of Magic :)

When planning any playdate one must be inspired.  Having a playdate centered around the color green just seemed like the perfect place the start.  Looking through my closet of crafts I happened upon several bags of lime green insects and off I went to create this Slime Time St. Patrick's Playdate.

The total cost of this playdate was five dollars since I had many of the supplies at my house already but it is designed to be a $20.00 or less playdate. Here is the total supply list from the playdate. The beauty of a playdate is that there is no left over supplies or wasted materials.

*You'll just need the following:
*Green Slime
*Various Plastic Bugs or Dinosaurs
*Plastic tubberware or baking dishes and ziplock bags pending on kitchen and playspace
*Various green scrapbooking papers
*Green themed snacks
*Kiddos

First the slime! Seriously it is just as fun for adults as one could imagine.

Slime Time Recipe:

Here are all the ingredients and materials that you will need to complete the project. Borax, Elmers White Glue, Elmers Clear Glue, Water, Neon Food Coloring, Measuring Cups, Measuring Spoons, and Mixing Spoon.
Step One: The Borax Solution

One cup of water
One tablespoon of Borax {I included a picture of this product since it can be tricky to find at the grocery store}
Mix until the Borax is almost completely dissolved and set to one side.  From the picture below you can see that the larger measuring cup is mixed with the Borax Solution.

Step Two: The Glue Solution

One half cup of glue
One half cup of water
Several drops of lime green food coloring
Mix until the water, glue, and food coloring become completely blended.  If you need to add more color now is your last chance :) From the picture above you can see my lime green measuring cup is the Glue Solution.

Now for the magic of Science.  What is super cool about this activity is that is teaches your kiddos about chemical reactions.  When the Glue Solution reacts with the Borax Solution it changes into Slime.  The glue reacts with the sodium in the Borax and actually makes the glue stick to itself.

 Pictured above is the mixing of the Borax and Glue Solutions.  When mixing these solutions together it only takes seconds for the chemical reaction and formation of the Slime.  Instantly you will see the glue change shape in the borax and you will need to collect all of the glue in your hands and dip it back into the Borax Solution until you get the Slime Solution you desire.

Here is my favorite kind of Slime Solution.  I love when it still slimes back and forth into shape.  I used the larger sized throw about  tupperware to serve the purpose of storage, playtime observations, and take home gift.  The Slime Solution can be kept up to two weeks with nightly stays in the refrigerator at night so the growth of mold does not occur. Obviously since this product includes the cleaning solution of Borax it is not for consumption.

To add more whimsy to the playdate I also added dinosaurs and glow bugs to the solution for added magic.



When you add the clear glue instead of the classic elmers school glue you get this super cool effect.

It is imporant to remember that when you are mixing the solutions that you are not going to use all of the borax solution.  It will just be used to react with the glue solution.  When I  tried making my first clear solution I left it in the Borax Solution for a little too long :) Still really cool to play with my not as slimy more of a putty substance.
Use creative jars to give you slime to your guests they will be so delighted :) I used these baby jars for both decoration and storage of your slime.  If you are making this for a playdate I recommend making it for your kiddos.  If the slime is stored over night it just isn't that slimy the next day.


Here are some highlights of our playdate!

We added dinosaurs to our Green Slime Time as suggested by my son. So awesome that he too comes up with creative touches at two for our guests.
I also used left over scrapbooking paper from my "Hanging with my Gnomies Playdate".  This is a very Shoppertunistic idea I learned from my friend Tiffany at Become Shoppertunistic.{Become Shoppertunistic Facebook Page Here}  I love the glam factor this sparkle paper brings.
Tiffany also provided jello jigglers "slime" to our playdate too! So awesome to have friends who also love to contribute to your playdates!
Your kiddos will love this slime too such a classic from childhood.  I really think that's what adds the magic to any playdate bringing together elements that both children and adults think is fun.

While I was making the slime for my little people I made Green playdough in advance so they could play with it before and during the time the slime was being made. Its the teacher in me to keep little people busy during transition times. This playdough recipe is the best I have ever used and will be found in the recipe section of my blog.

Seriously the looks on all of their faces is priceless not to mention that this entire playdate for me was just the cost of the tupperware.  I decided to use it to contain the slime and for a take home item but you could use a variety of things from around the kitchen including cookie sheets for playtime and ziplock bags for take home.
Oh so slimy but oh so cool! Even being thirty something I love to play with slime and was so gitty to be able to host this playdate for the little menfolk in my life.  All of my grown up friends wanted to attend this playdate too and commented that I was the coolest mom for making slime at my house.
So how this chemical reaction can also be seen in the eyes of our children :) So magical
This was a very manageable no mess playdate although it is called slime it does not slick to little fingers or plastic dino's or bugs.  We'd love to see your Green Slime time too.  Leave us a picture or comment we'd love to hear from you and  your playdate.

1 comment:

  1. This playdate rocketed our socks off! It was so much fun! It was fantastic tonight, a few days later, to pull it out again. I prepared dinner uninterrupted! Magical! Thank you for including us!

    ReplyDelete